Happy Summer Solstice! The Summer Solstice, known by many as their favorite day of the year- “the first day of Summer”- happens between June 20th and June 21st each year in the Northern Hemisphere. The exact time of the Solstice this year is 03:32 UTC on Monday, June 21st, therefore it can be celebrated all weekend or even week long!
On the solstice, the Sun is at its highest point in the sky, resulting in the longest day of the year (sunlight hours). Longer days mean more freedom and possibility for many, and more sunshine brings more life! What a beautiful occurence to celebrate.
Here are seven of my favorite ways to ring in the Summer Solstice:
- Sungaze! Sungazing is a wonderful way to get outside, soak up some rays and even enjoy a few health benefits at the same time, if done safely. Safe hours for sun gazing are one hour after sunrise and one hour before sunset. During safe hours, head outside and sit or stand barefoot on the earth. Take a few deep breaths, clear your mind, take off any glasses and bring your sight to the sun. Once you’re here, you can’t do it wrong! Watch the sun like you naturally would- allowing any blinks or flickers of the eyes to occur, if needed. If any thoughts arise, gently allow them to pass and bring your focus back to the sun. Relax your body, drop your shoulders, and breathe. Take in the sun energy. Practice sun gazing anywhere from 1 minute to 30 minutes each day. At the end of your sun gazing experience, close your eyes for a few moments. Imagine the golden sunlight surrounding you and expanding within you, healing and restoring your entire being. Perhaps say a prayer, send your gratitudes to the sun and earth, or set an intention for the day/night ahead.
- Cacao Ceremony! Pure cacao is an incredibly supportive medicine for the body, mind, heart and Soul, and cacao ceremonies are a reflection of that- infused with any intention or energy you wish to sit with- celebration, pleasure, reflection, release, heart-opening to name a few! Sit solo in ceremony or invite a few friends or spirit guides to elevate and hold the energy of the circle. Shop Cacoco Ceremonial Drinking Chocolate here and enjoy the limitless benefits of cacao! Learn more about cacao and its properties here.
- Take the long road home… or seek a new adventure! Summertime brings longer days, meaning more daylight to get out and explore! Take a free day to adventure with no expectations, try a new restaurant or hike spot, plan a weekend trip… or if none of these are currently accessible, take the long road home! The next time you’re driving home, take a longer or simply a different route. This small change can make ripples in your life or help you to shift into a state of gratitude!
- Create, create, create! Anything of your wildest dreams! Create art- paint, draw, sculpt, write, use any medium. Reorganize your home, buy or sell items like clothes, trinkets you no longer use, clean out your car… creation is infinite! When you make space for creation, you inherently clear stagnant energy and simultaneously invite in new, clean and pure energy into your life.
- Fire Ceremony! Welcome in the heat, the flames, the duality of fire and light through a fire ceremony! Fire Ceremony can be enjoyed alone, in an intimate sacred space or as a larger group around a bonfire. Learn all about fire ceremonies and how to have one, indoors or outdoors, here.
- Manifest and call in your dreams! In menstruating bodies, ovulation is equivalent to the inner Summer, and within Pachamama (Mother Earth), Summer is reflected in the same fashion! Flowers, trees and buds are in full bloom, the sun is brightly shining, there is more movement. Pachamama is open and fertile; planting seeds of creation everywhere. You may see your dreams and desires manifest quicker, or differently, when you harness the energy of Summer to create! Speak out loud or to a friend, journal, visualize and call in your dreams, big or small. Devote at least 10 minutes each day to this practice. Really imagine all the details of your dream… what it looks like, feels like, tastes like, smells like, sounds like, how it makes you feel now and the frequency of it. Allow the dream vision to become stronger and imagine yourself living it right now- as if it was always here.
- Bring the outside in! This one is quite simple yet extremely effective. Bring the outside in- literally! Buy yourself flowers, a houseplant, or seeds to grow. This will elevate the energy of your home while simultaneously reminding you of the beauty all around. Talk to your plants or flowers, look at them, nourish them then do the same steps with yourself.
I sincerely hope that you gained inspiration from this post to try one of these seven celebrations, or even create your own! Have fun with it, don’t take yourself too seriously and enjoy the experience. Happy Summer!